Time tracking challenge: Day 5

I slept through the night again last night. I didn’t even wake up coughing or to go to the bathroom. After going down by 10:30 I popped up at 5:30. I decided to snuggle back under the covers and drifted in and out until 6:45 when I heard my husband changing the baby (apparently he got up before I did). We all hung out for a bit, got the kids breakfast, etc.

Then it was a full on mommy day. I got the kids ready for school, and put the 8-year-old on the bus at 8:40. Since my 6-year-old is in half-day afternoon kindergarten (with an enrichment program in the A.M.) and it was a half day today, it meant he had no school. Well, scratch that. There’s a childcare option where he could have gone and sat in the cafeteria all day, but I figured since I was home I’d keep him. We brought the 4-year-old to her school at 9, then drove to the Please Touch Museum, arriving around 9:30. We (6-year-old, 1-year-old and me) did the whole museum, with a quick snack break, staying until 11:40. Then it was back to pick up the 4-year-old from preschool. The baby fell asleep on the way. We got her, drove home (I brought baby up to his room to continue napping) and had lunch. Then one of my daughters’ friends came over (with mom and little brother) and they played all afternoon until 4. Then I loaded the four kids up in the van and drove to a nearby park, so we could get some fresh air. This really should have been a lot more fun than it was. The kids were fighting like crazy, the baby kept falling over, and refused to stay on the paved surfaces, preferring the mud.

So, home at 5, and we opened one of the 1-year-old’s birthday presents. Then my husband came home and we went to Chicago Uno Grill for dinner. It wasn’t as bad as it could have been, I suppose, though dinner out with the kids is never exactly relaxing. There was much complaining. At least I got a margarita. Home around 7. I put the baby straight to bed. Now I’m here writing this. My husband is packing up the ski stuff for tomorrow, so I need to figure out my plan for this next toddler-centric weekend.

3 thoughts on “Time tracking challenge: Day 5

  1. I had scheduled a busy day for myself, with lots of work, lots of household tasks, and lunch with a friend. Most of my work projects went sideways and I ended up flustered. When it was time to leave for a meeting at 3, I left out the dark chocolate bar I had been munching on. Of course, while she was home alone, my dog ate the rest of it. When I got home and found out we spent 2 hours (and $200!) at the vet. All my fault, but it threw a wrench into my day. After dealing with that, and eating dinner, I worked until 10pm. Not a dream Friday!

  2. I love your brutal honesty. Dinner out with the family sounds wonderful, but often th reality doesn’t match expectations. Still, I appreciate how you reframe it so you acknowledge the good. That’s helpful for me and something I’ve tried to do since becoming a SuperFan:) You are so accomplished and get so much done. Seeing how others manage it is inspiration for me.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *