In lieu of a coherent essay, here are some observations from the weekend:
- Late night date nights may be worth a try. Yes, I was a little tired going into a restaurant at 9:45 p.m. on Friday. But the sitter was happy to show up after the kids were in bed, and we didn’t miss any time with them. We got to go for a swim and read stories and the like.
- If the Post Office accepts passport applications from 9-11 a.m. on a Saturday, go early. We did, fortunately, to renew my oldest’s and get one for my youngest. By the time we left, the line was down the hallway.
- Summer weather is a crapshoot. We wanted to do one beach day this weekend. After studying the weather forecast, we opted for Sunday. Saturday turned out to be beautiful. On Sun, it started to rain while we were in the car on the way there. The rain stopped and we had some sun, but things were tense there in the car for a bit.
- Library trips are always fun. I’ve been getting bored with our books, so we stocked up on some random children’s stories.
- Sleep when your baby sleeps. Isn’t that the saying? I took a 90-minute nap on Saturday afternoon and it was great.
- The King of Prussia Costco closes at 6 p.m. on Saturday. So showing up at 6:50 p.m. doesn’t work.
- Running 4 miles in 90-plus degree heat feels roughly like running a marathon in 65 degree weather.
- The tomatoes are tantalizingly close to being ripe! A few have been red enough to eat, and more will turn soon. I did some pretty intricate work with the stakes to keep the tomatoes off the ground (where they rot quickly).
- I am looking forward to my children being old enough that restaurant meals are relaxed, not stressful. On the other hand, at least at restaurants we don’t have to cook.
- It’s something to see all three kids conked out in the back seat on the way back from the beach.
How did you spend this weekend?